Sunday, September 6, 2015

The reality of water.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of having my best friend Karen and her husband John in town, and we spent the day at Pedernales State Park. It was a beautiful day, but to no surprise filled with the lovely and intense Texas heat. We started our park adventure with a hill filled 5-mile hike, and of course I brought NO water with me. At the end of 5 miles, we had one water break, and then trekked on for another 2 to 3 miles. I clearly left my girl scout and team leader hat at home…along with the AC. As we hiked the hills in the mid-afternoon heat, at one point Karen turned the conversation to my Acholi friends and family in Uganda. They know quite a bit about the Acholi people and their history by our many previous conversations. She said, “Kacie, could you imagine being this dehydrated and running for your life right now”, referencing the war that the Acholi people endured for two decades. We all pondered that for a moment in almost disbelief. There were several significant differences between our situation and theirs: 1. We weren’t running for our lives. 2. We knew there was water at the end of 5 miles, and 3. The water was going to be clean, not risking our health with every gulp. The conversation continued to circle around the water situation in Uganda, shifting from our original discussion of their past, to the severity and tragedy of their current reality. I have personally seen it and I know the depth of the situation. So often when I am back home, here in the United States; these problems begin to seem slightly distant, but yesterdays hike brought the bitter reality to the forefront of my mind and heart again. At the end of about 8 miles, with one water break- Karen and I were feeling only minor effects of dehydration; and it reminded me of the intensity of the problem that is happening. Yes, to us, something as simple as water. In Uganda, women and children will walk miles to get water from a filthy water source, because it is the best, or maybe only option. They will hydrate with the same water that people bathe in, that animals go to the bathroom in, water that is sometimes stagnant, contaminated with disease and bacteria. I cannot stress this enough. This is a serious problem. People are dying, children are dying! Here in the United States many of our dogs and cats are eating and drinking better than our brothers and sisters in Uganda.

You can help to be the change. The question is, are we willing? Are we willing to reach out our hand to our own human race? Are we willing to make the difference? It sometimes feels like you, as one person cannot actually make a difference, the problem is too massive. You are right on one account, the problem is massive…but don’t for a second think that you cannot make a difference. Every life that is saved, every well that is drilled, every village that is reached, every step that is taken…is making a difference. So be the difference in someone’s life. I, as a friend am asking you if you will make a difference. I have held the hand of dying children. I have grieved with a mom who has lost her child. I have seen the sickness. As I hold a sick child, it has never crossed my mind (nor would it yours), ‘ah…this is only one child. It is okay, if we lose this one’. These lives are precious, just like your daughter, your grandson, like your little brother or niece. I want to be the eyes for those who have not seen; I have held that child, and if you held them…you would do everything in your power to save this live…this one precious life. Because one…yes, even one life matters!

I have also been so blessed to rejoice and praise God for clean water. I have seen and know the difference that clean water makes…the health, the gratitude, the life. I would ask you to pray. Maybe God is calling you to make a difference in just one person’s life…never underestimate the importance of one person. You too after all are simply one person.  Maybe He is calling you to help the Acholi people, if so read below. Maybe He is calling you to something else. If so, follow that. I can guarantee you regardless of where He is calling you…He is calling. So listen, and follow. He will bless you in unimaginable ways when you walk with Him. It is my prayer that you will discover how God wants to use you.

If you feel called to help be the change in Uganda, here are a few options of how to help.
1.     Donate to Villages of Hope Africa (VOHA) at villagesofhopeafrica.org. Every penny donated goes to Gulu, Uganda in efforts in support the Acholi people.
2.     You can buy a t-shirt. All proceeds go to VOHA. And when you wear your shirt and people ask questions, you can begin to be a voice for the Acholi people.
3.     Join a team and go serve in Uganda!

If you have any questions call/text me or email me at kacie@villagesofhopeafrica.org









No comments:

Post a Comment